Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolutions or Goals?

res·o·lu·tion  noun \ˌre-zə-ˈlü-shən\
1: the act or process of resolving: as a : the act of analyzing a complex notion into simpler ones b : the act of answering : solving c : the act of determining d : the passing of a voice part from a dissonant to a consonant tone or the progression of a chord from dissonance to consonance e : the separating of a chemical compound or mixture into its constituents f (1) : the division of a prosodic element into its component parts (2) : the substitution in Greek or Latin prosody of two short syllables for a long syllable g : the analysis of a vector into two or more vectors of which it is the sum
2: the subsidence of a pathological state (as inflammation)
3a : something that is resolved b : firmness of resolve
4: a formal expression of opinion, will, or intent voted by an official body or assembled group
5: the point in a literary work at which the chief dramatic complication is worked out
6a : the process or capability of making distinguishable the individual parts of an object, closely adjacent optical images, or sources of light b : a measure of the sharpness of an image or of the fineness with which a device (as a video display, printer, or scanner) can produce or record such an image usually expressed as the total number or density of pixels in the image

As you can see from the above Miriam-Webster definition of the word "resolution", New Years resolutions probably started as the #4 definition- expressing will or intent. But, if you look closely at some of the other definitions, a New Years resolution could easily be classified by any of the above definitions.

The first one, for instance, "to resolve" can be applied to many New Years Resolutions. Many people try to resolve problems for the new year. Maybe they want to lose weight. Maybe they want to become debt-free. In forming those resolutions, they are expecting a change to come to thierw life. They are expecting something to be "fixed" by simply acting out the resolution....

I have a new idea to offer my resolution-making friends; stop making resolutions and start setting some goals! I have found from personal experience that the easiest way to change a behavior pattern is to set goals for myself. If I want to be a better person spiritually, I have goals for that. If I want to be a better family member, I have goals for that, too! It all started with my 101 in 1001 goals.

The idea behind the 101 in 1001 goals is to challenge yourself to accomplish things that you have been putting off or have not been able to "find time for". I noticed in my venture with these goals that I prefer a 101 goals in 365 days over the 1001 days. Three years is too long for me to see progress. I like to "feel" like I'm doing something.

Since starting the 101 in 1001, I have accomplished many of the goals I set. Even better, I have noticed a complete difference in my life. I now catch myself looking for ways to help others. I read more books and play less computer. I feel like there is a purpose for some of the things I do.

If you are interested in this 101 in 1001 concept, check out my post here and also do a Google search and you should come up with a TON of info! Good Luck!


Thanks for stopping by!
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I read each one and would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...