Sunday, June 26, 2011

Book Review: It's Not About Me



Max Lucado does it again! In the book "It's Not About Me", Max Lucado convinces readers that they should shed their "me, me, me" lifestyle with a "Him, Him, Him" lifestyle. He lets readers know that "God does not exist to make a big deal out of us. We exist to make a big deal out of him. It's not about you. It's not about me. It's all about him."

This book was a really inspiring piece of literature. It is a great book for anyone who is looking for a close relationship with God and new Christians. It's written in an easy to understand format. My only negatives about this book were the few anti-Catholic undertones. Once it was mentioned that the man in the balcony of St.Peter's Square cannot stop change. Although we Catholics know that this is true, I feel Lucado was implying that we think that the Pope can offer God's grace to us. He can help lead us to God but he cannot sit in for God.

Another instance of anti-Catholic undertone was when Lucado was speaking of legalism. He says, "Jesus + mysticism: You do offer penance and pray to the Virgin Mary, don't you". I feel I must clarify again that Catholics do not believe that penance or prayers to the Virgin Mary "save us" or send us to Heaven. We feel that these are tools that help us get closer to God. We also believe that reading the Bible and  prayer draw us closer. Also, we, as Catholics are not compelled to pray to the Virgin Mary . These are personal decisions that some Catholics make.  Other than those few points  wanted to clarify, the book is wonderful for people of all Christian faiths.  Just please be wary of the anti-Catholicism. We are Christians too!

Thank you to the publisher for offering this book to me free of charge from booksneeze.com!


Thanks for stopping by!
Alicia

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I read each one and would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...