Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: Wrapped Up




There is beginning to be an abundance of books written with the Catholic woman in mind. Sometimes I wonder if there can really be too much of a good thing. I mean, can I really read five different books on the subject of womanhood and not get completely bored with them? Yes, I can!

I just finished reading Wrapped Up: God’s Ten Gifts for Women and I must admit that I was wary of choosing yet another book about Catholic womanhood when I chose to review this book. I chose it because the authors are Teresa Tomeo and Cheryl Dickow, two prolific Catholic writers who happen to be strong Christian women. I am so glad that I decided to read this book!

The book has ten chapters, each one dedicated to one gift from God. Each chapter is then broken into two sub-chapters: Timeless Truths and Timely Truths. Timeless Truths are written by Cheryl Dickow and she takes the gift and illustrates how it was modeled by a Biblical woman. Timely Truths are written by Teresa Tomeo and show the Catholic woman how to embrace this gift in the real world. Each sub-chapter begins with a quote and ends with a mantra or takeaway that the reader can meditate upon after reading.

I thought that this book was a creative approach to celebrating womanhood and offering a fresh perspective on what it means to be a real woman in the 21st century. We can take those timeless truths- the ones that God teaches us in the Bible- and transfer them into our everyday lives using the approach found in this lovely book. If you are not a fan of books that require the reader to begin a journal or to look up Bible passages, this is a great book for you. This is a simple, yet effective book that does not require a lot of extra time to get the most out of it. The best approach to this book would be to read a chapter (or sub-chapter) and then meditate upon the “Takeaway” at the end.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Wrapped Up - God's Ten Gifts for Women. The Catholic Company has great gift ideas for all seasons of the liturgical year, be sure to check out their Advent selection and Catholic Christmas Gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I read each one and would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...