Friday, March 23, 2012

Book Review: Style, Sex, and Substance

   


“Style, Sex, and Substance: 10 Catholic Women Consider the Things That Really Matter”, co-written by 10 extraordinary Catholic women and edited by Hallie Lord, is the newest book for Catholic women published by Our Sunday Visitor. Covering topics such as marriage, the single life, sex, and motherhood, this book has something for everyone. Each contributing author covers a topic that is close to the Catholic woman’s heart with humor and genuine Christian love.

I must be honest with you, my readers. I was looking through the books that were up for review through The Catholic Company’s blogger review program when I spotted this title. I was unsure because, honestly, the book cover was so attractive. Why? Well, good Catholic books usually have boring covers or religious icons on them or something similar. How often do you see a “real” (cartoon) lady on the cover? Yes, book-lover Alicia judged a book by it’s cover. I totally planned to pass this book up… Until I saw Rachel Balducci’s name, that is. Rachel is a member of my Diocese and I have heard her speak a few times and read her first published book. She writes a weekly column for my Diocesan newspaper and has lots of boys. I jumped for joy when I found out that she gave birth to her first daughter. Yes, I am sort of a fan of hers. I quickly ordered the book but was still unsure of how much “substance” this book really had.


I am very proud to tell you that the book, “Style, Sex, and Substance” is about 20% style and sex and 80% substance! This book is THE GREATEST book for Catholic women that I have ever read. This book completely meets the 20-40 year old woman where she is at and brings her closer to her mother Church. Each chapter has a different focus and has as much useful and practical information packed into it as most Christian books written in the 21st century. Instead of the usual “fluff”, every word in this book is well-thought out. I am planning to purchase a few copies to give as gifts and I recommend you buy a copy for yourself!



This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Style, Sex, and Substance. They are also a great source for a baptism gifts or first communion gifts.



Thanks for stopping by!
 Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I read each one and would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...