Friday, September 2, 2011

Book review: Black, White, Other




In the book, “Black, White, Other: In Search of Nina Armstrong”, the author, Joan Steinau Lester explores the lives of a modern day bi-racial teenager and the life of her great great grandmother, a slave who found her way to freedom. Nina, the main character, is going through the changes of divorce and entering her first year of high school. With everything going on around her, Nina starts to question her identity. She wonders, “Am I black? Or am I white?”. She goes on a soul-searching journey, hoping to discover who she really is.

“Black, White, Other” is the author’s first fiction novel. This book is intended for young teens but I can tell you that this is one of those kids books that you will want to share with your child! I love that there is an actual story within the story (that is based on truth!). The story within is as interesting as the main storyline. My favorite things about this book are that it is completely safe for any young teen to read. My son is 11 years old and bi-racial so I was really hoping that this would be a good book to share with him. I was not disappointed! There are a few stereotypes written about both races in order to present the story accurately but they are also dispelled within the story. There is no bad language and the religious parts of the book are respectful to all religions. There is actually a visit to a Catholic Church that contributes greatly to the story!

There are not enough great things I can say about this book. There are not enough books written to help biracial children learn about themselves. If you are raising a teen of any race, I recommend this book. If you are raising a biracial teen, this one is a must read!!

related links:
http://www.joanlester.com/
Black, White, Other: In Search of Nina Armstrong

Thank you to Zondervan and NetGalley for offering this book to me free of charge!



Thanks for stopping by! Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I read each one and would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...