Monday, June 13, 2011

Book Review: My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife





"My  So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife" by Sara Horn was a refreshing take on my favorite Proverb passage. Sara dubbed the Proverbs 31 wife as "Martha 31" and compared her to a early version of Martha Stewart. Readers follow Sara for one year as she attempts to emulate Martha 31 in her home.

I thought this book was insightful. To watch a woman transform from a career-driven wife and mother to a family-oriented wife and mother was rewarding. Of course, Sara never became the Proverbs 31 wife but she learned much from trying. I recommend this to all wives but especially those who feel that they are inadequate.

Things I liked:

1. Sara was honest with the reader. Brutally honest at times.

2. Sara is a normal person. Her husband was unemployed and she was taking the slack. Many women can identify with this situation.

Things I didn't Like:

1. There is only one thing. Even though the author informs the reader at the beginning of the book that the book is notplanning to teach you anything, I wish she would have added some practical applications or at least some Bible verses.

Thank you to Harvest House publishers for offering this book to me free of charge! Click on the picture above to pre-order the book!

ETA: Sara Horn commented and said that she may be offering a Bible study on her website and that she will be offering a challenge when the book is published. I will be posting something when it is closer to the publishing date.


Thanks for stopping by!
Alicia

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia! Thank you so much for reviewing my book! I'm glad you enjoyed it! This was a very personal experience for me, and a very different type of book for me to write. It was strange for me also not to have a lot of scripture and practical application. I am praying about the possibility of doing a short Bible study to go along with the book that will be available for download from my website for those women who'd like to go further in their study of scripture when it comes to being a wife and mom. I'm also happy to share that when the book releases in September, it will have a 10-day challenge for women to conduct their own Proverbs 31 experiments and places to record their results! :) Thanks again for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Sara! I am going to edit my post to add this information! I hope that you can do the Bible Study, I would be very interested in it!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I read each one and would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...