Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Keilbasa"


On Sunday, May 1, 2011, Pope John Paul II will be beatified! I am very excited since this is the first time I "know" someone who will be beatified since I have been Catholic! In celebration, I am going to cook up a delicious and very simple recipe I learned from my mother. I am not sure if it is actually Polish but it uses Polish Sausage as the main ingrediant. Around here, we call it "Keilbasa" (the Polish name for the sausage), or, as my kids lovingly refer to it, "bossy".





My Mom's Keilbasa Recipe
Ingrediants:
1 lb package of Polish Sausage or Keilbasa
2 bell peppers, cut into strips 
1 large onion, sliced
(I usually buy the pepper and onion blend at Kroger in the frozen section)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
rice (already cooked- as much as you desire)

What to do:
Slice the sausage into 1/2 to 1 inch wide rounds. Place them in a frying pan on med-high heat and heat through, allowing meat to carmelize.

Add peppers and onions. If using fresh, add about 1/2 c of water. Place lid on top and simmer for about 10 minutes or until frozen vegetables are heated completely.

Add tomatoes and sauce. Stir into mixture and simmer for about 10 more minutes.

Serve over rice.

Easy peasy!! That is it! It is a great way to get kids to eat vegetables and mine absolutely love it!


Thanks for stopping by!
Alicia

I am linking to:
First Friday Link Up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I read each one and would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...