Sunday, March 21, 2010

Reflections: Imagining Inadequacies?

Recently I read an article about how moms tend to pile guilt on themselves. As I read the article, it really spoke to me. The author said that she realized one day that another child's mom may be better at cooking or cleaning, but that she was focusing on the other parent's strengths and focusing on her own weaknesses. She then realized the importance of keeping things in perspective.
Last night I was reading "Life Management for Busy Women" by Elizabeth George. She tells women that we should set aside time for Bible Study and learning. I started feeling guilty because I have had to put Sunday Bible Study on the backburner for now. I almost let it bring me down. Instead I finished the chapter, said a quick prayer, and went to sleep.
This morning, as I headed in to Mass, I stopped by the back table to grab the March copy of "God's Word Today". As I reached for the small magazine, I had an epiphany! I love to read the daily excerpt from GWT each evening and sometimes during break at work. This is Bible Study!
Sometimes I really tend to try to over-do things. I let myself think that Bible Study HAS to be an hour long. I tell myself that I have to pray long, drawn out prayers. I tear myself down if I don't dedicate hours to reading Christian books. And you know what happens when I try to do all of these things? I get overwhelmed and do nothing. Then I feel inadequate.
Now I remind myself that "easy does it" is best when you are a mom. So, my Bible Study will be done on most days using "God's Word Today" for 5 minutes and my prayers will be simple rote prayers in the morning and evening and more personal and talkative througout the day. I will read my Christian books when I have time and energy. I will do these things knowing that "It is not the magnitude of our actions but the amount of love that is put into them that matters" (Mother Teresa of Calcutta)

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I read each one and would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...