Monday, December 10, 2012

Book Review: Saint Kateri



On October 21, 2012, Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha was declared North America's first Native American Saint. Although Saint Kateri has a large following, especially among Native Americans, there is not much information about her available to the public. Matthew and Margaret Bunson have done a huge service to all Kateri followers by writing this informative and historical book.

The book begins by explaining how Native Americans are thought to have arrived to the area we currently know as North America. The book then details the invasion of the Europeans and how the Native Americans reacted to this. Finally, the book details the actual life of Kateri by quoting actual documentation written by the priests who knew her personally. This book is a unique and detailed account of the history of the Native Americans, particularly the Iroquois, and the life of the humble Saint, Kateri Tekakwitha.

My father is Native American Iroquois and lived in the same area that Saint Kateri is from and when I completed RCIA six years ago, I chose then Blessed Kateri as my confirmation saint so I have a strong interest in the life of Saint Kateri. This book is by far one of the best books I've read about the missionaries in America at the time and the life of Kateri Tekakwitha. The book is detailed and interesting, telling a story and offering history at the same time. The only thing that I did not like about this book is that there are no references to the documents that were quoted so that I could find them for further review but overall, this book is a gem. I recommend this book for any fan of Saint Kateri or of Native Americans. A definite must-read!


This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Saint Kateri: Lily of the Mohawks. The Catholic Company has great gift ideas for all seasons of the liturgical year, be sure to check out their Advent selection and Catholic Christmas Gifts.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia, I've been wanting to read this book myself. Sounds interesting. What grade level do you think this would be appropriate for? I'm wondering if it's a good book choice for middle schoolers? Advent blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Noreen, Sorry it took so long to reply... I think this book would be a good choice for Middle Schoolers. Even though it is deep enough to keep an adult engaged, it also has plenty of explanation about the culture and the history of the time for a younger audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to look into it then. Thanks! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I read each one and would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...