Sunday, September 2, 2012

Making our way to the front...



Of the church, that is!

If you have been reading my blog, you know that, not long ago, my sons and I were sequestered in the "training room" because of their inability to sit still and be quiet during Mass. I mentioned in my Mass Bag post that I was working on training my boys to behave and that we would eventually move into the actual sanctuary when they were ready.

A few weeks ago, I decided to test my boys out. After feeding them breakfast and giving them their medication about one hour before Mass, I allowed them to bring one small toy that they could play with- silently. Then we headed out into the unknown...

I am pleased to announce that they sat quietly during Mass and forgot about the toys until we were getting ready to leave. I was amazed and thankful because I can finally enjoy Mass the way I should... I can see and hear everything that is going on, I feel comfortable singing (the "training room is quite tiny), and there are kneelers! Oh, what a blessed day!

We have been sitting in the sanctuary for about 4 weeks now and I am proud of my boys. I want to take this time to tell moms not to be afraid to stay in the "training room"/"cry room" a little longer than the first few years if your child is not ready. My boys are 12, 8, and 6 and only my 12 year old was ready to move out until now. Sometimes when we have children with ADHD or Autism or another psychological disorder, it takes them longer to adapt to the quiet and stillness of reverence. God Bless You!

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I read each one and would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...