Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Children are a gift!

As I mentioned previously, I am participating in an online book club through Good Morning Girls using the book "Ministry of Motherhood" by Sally Clarkson. Each day we have a scripture passage that we use the "SOAP" method to meditate upon. My plan was to meditate on my scripture passages each week and then post a blog post at the end of the week featuring my favorite and all of my prayers for the week. Well, God had another plan! I am still going to do my end of the week post but this week I HAD to share my favorite passage so far.

Monday's reading was Psalm 127:3:
"Children too are a  gift from the Lord, the fruit of the womb, a reward."
This got me to thinking.... how do we treat gifts and rewards that we recieve from "worldly" sources? We often treasure them. Sometimes we keep them just because they were a gift or reward, no matter how ugly or cumbersome it is. We build trophy cases to show off our rewards for things like basketball and soccer. When we recieve a gift from a friend or family member, we anticipate the moment that we open the gift to reveal what our friends think is "perfect" for us.

Now think about this- GOD gave us the gifts of our children! He knows what is perfect for us! He doesn't give ugly or cumbersome gifts! Why do we not treasure our children like we do those worldly gifts sometimes? There are times when we choose the worldly gifts over our children. Like when your son breaks your vase that your great-grandmother gave you. He is punished harshly for an accident, not because of what he did, but because of what he broke.

This passage revealed to me that women (and men) everywhere (including me!) tend to forget that children are a gift. An undeserved reward. I know I do not deserve these beautiful souls that fill my home. Yet, sometimes I take them for granted! May we all remember that our children are a perfect gift from God.

Thanks for stopping by! God Bless!!
Alicia

I am participating in:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post...I needed to be reminded of my "Gifts" from God...and treat them as such....

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I read each one and would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...